A beloved member of the San Diego music community, Bart Mendoza has been lending his talents as musician, journalist and friend. Here are five things you may not know about Bart:
1. I was originally the drummer in the group of school kids that became Manual Scan.
2. I’ve actually driven a car — twice. Once in Drivers Ed class during high school and then again in the mid 1980’s while on tour with Manual Scan. Somewhere in the desert of Arizona, I drove about a mile on a dare. There was nothing to hit.
3. I don’t drink alcohol. Nothing against it, I’ve had a drink, it’s just not my thing. I also don’t drink anything with caffeine in it. I’m a massive insomniac, I’d never sleep.
4. As a kid, I aspired to be a magician and even did a few shows. I frequented Chuck Martinez’s Magic Shop on 30th in North Park,
5. I’ve used the same Music Man amplifier and Fender Strat Squier combo live since 1981.